Warning: Use of undefined constant flase - assumed 'flase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/houseof1/public_html/wp-content/themes/jemma/inc/Jemma.php on line 251
How I lost 40 Pounds Without Depriving Myself – Sauvy Mommy

How I lost 40 Pounds Without Depriving Myself

April 12, 2018 No Comments

How I lost 40 Pounds Without Depriving Myself

April 12, 2018 No Comments

IMG_4206.JPG
I’ve dropped 40 lbs since this photo to the left was taken last March, so I decided it was a good time to open up about this journey that I didn’t even really set out for.
I guess I’ll start by going way back…back to my birth weight. I was born at 9 lbs 8 oz so from my earliest moment, I was not a small human. I was chunk city as a baby – I had rolls for days. I was never overweight as a kid, but I always had more muscle mass than my peers and wasn’t ever “skinny” – it’s just in my genes; my athletic legs are a spitting image of my father’s and you can even see me here at four years old (pink swimsuit) with defined muscles in my legs. I resent tiny people that make fun of people who say they are “big boned” because I legit have a larger skeleton than most other girls I hang out with.
1919272_574348878439_267532_n.jpg
Fast forward to high school – Again I wasn’t ever “small” but I didn’t have much fat on my body and was more muscular than anything else and my abs were always flat despite consuming Otis Spunkmeyer cookies, Round Table Pizza and Taco Bell almost every single day. I was just active and did occasionally workout. I was a cheerleader, but never a flyer because I wasn’t 98lbs like the flyers on my squad were; I rotated between being a base and a back-spot for stunting. I was told by multiple people I had the same body as Britney Spears (I was in HS 1999-2003 so Britney was major back then). Britney’s muscular legs helped me to be more confident in mine. Like so many other girls, I always thought I had to look like an anorexic Abercrombie model to be considered attractive. So many articles have been written about how Kim Kardashian has helped change the trend from Kate Moss bodies to more curvy Kardashian bodies, but I think Britney deserves some credit as well for providing young girls with a positive body image. If you haven’t seen what Brit looked like back then, Google her. Then check out her instagram because she is killing it as of late. #abgoals. I should also mention that I’m not dissing skinny body types AT ALL. I’m just referring to pop culture and how media defines what is “beautiful” and how so many girls grew up thinking they were fat because they didn’t look undernourished.
Once I got to college, I gained like 30 lbs because drinking and eating fast food and not working out will do that to ya. I started eating healthier and working out, the weight fell off because young metabolisms are the best.
By the time I was preparing for my wedding at age 26, I was in the best shape of my life and decided to give Ryan a little saucy book of myself as a wedding gift. I tried to pick a photo to share that didn’t reveal any more of my body than a swimsuit, but sorry if this is offensive to any of you. I’m actually pretty modest by nature. My point in showing this is that I hardly had any fat on my body, but as you can see, I wasn’t “skinny.” I do not have “skinny” in my genetic makeup. But even here, I weighed 150 lbs and was considered “overweight” on the BMI charts according to my 5’6” height. My doctor looked at me and chuckled. “You’re not overweight, these charts are archaic and I don’t know why they’re still used. You are in great shape.”
IMG_4277.jpeg
Ryan and I were married for a little over a year when we conceived Porter. By then, I had probably gained 5 or 10 lbs because I was working 10+ hour days with a 2 hour commute (one hour each way) and was barely holding my head above water, stress-wise. I certainly wasn’t going to the gym and I was fo-show eating carbs.
The beginning of my pregnancy threw me for a loop. Morning sickness is rough, folks. And I didn’t even have it that bad compared to some. I just felt nauseous ALL. THE. DAMN. TIME. The only thing that would make me feel better was to eat very specific foods. I craved salty foods and cheerios almost constantly, which was a great recipe for weight gain.
By the end of my pregnancy, I had gained 60lbs. Riiiiiiidic. Some of it came off naturally and through breastfeeding, but only about 1/3 of it.
Postpartum, I had a tough time. You can read my birth story if you want, but basically I wasn’t doing well mentally because I felt traumatized from the birth. By the time Porter turned one, I finally started feeling like myself again and I got into spinning classes at my gym. The weight slowly started to come off as I developed healthier habits, but by the time I got pregnant with Preston eight months later, I hadn’t lost all the weight I had gained with Porter.
With Preston, I gained another 40lbs. Breastfeeding didn’t go well so I didn’t lose as much weight right off the bat. By the time he was four months old, I was completely done breastfeeding and that was stretching it as far as I could go. I found stay-at-home-mom life to be challenging with two kids, and I definitely ate more crap (hello toddler snacks) and drank more wine to cope. Taking an infant and toddler to the gym was more of a challenge, and I didn’t make it a huge priority. I tried doing Beachbody, but found the program to be ineffective. I needed cardio and a break from my kids, not living room weight training with a crying baby and toddler interrupting me. By the time Preston turned one in March of 2017, I was definitely not healthy and in retrospect, wasn’t that happy.
img_4204-e1523549841366.jpeg
When I saw this photo of myself, I decided it was time for a change; I started running and going to the gym regularly.
I put my house on the market that May and by July we were living in a new neighborhood. Our neighborhood is bursting with charming homes and large trees, making it a waaaay happier place to run around in compared to my old neighborhood. I started running with my girlfriends who live right by me and it became routine…and we were pushing our kids, which made our runs extra tough. I ran my first 10k that November and the weight was definitely coming off.
By January, it was pretty cold here in Sacramento and my friends and I opted for the gym instead. I got an Apple Watch, and I started to see how many calories I was burning per day; I set my goal for 800. My friends and I don’t belong to the same gym, but I can still see what they’re doing through the watch. My friend started doing the stair climber, something she had always done apparently. I had literally never gotten on one before, but decided to give it a try. WOW. That thing WORKS. I started doing the stair climber five or six days a week and when I’m on it, I really push myself. I make a point to burn at least 400 calories doing the stairs, followed by light weights. I’m not crazy about weights and I get bored, so I don’t do them that hard core. But what I’m doing is working! I’m down 40 lbs from that picture in the red shirt and I still drink wine, eat cheese, pizza, etc. For the most part I eat healthy, but I don’t deprive myself, because #BALANCE. Life is too short to not consume cheese and wine in my opinion. I don’t ever want to be one of those people who Google how much sugar is in an apple.
IMG_5740.JPG
I’m not yet at a place in this journey to where I’m completely satisfied with where I am – I still want to lose another 20 lbs. But I’m heading in the right direction and I have the most encouraging circle of friends and husband. I feel like I need to share that Ryan NOT ONCE ever made me feel anything less than beautiful. Never one tiny comment about my weight gain. He’s always only ever made me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world and oh my gosh, I’m so grateful for that. If he had criticized me in any way, it would have crushed my soul. Having our babies really took its toll on my body, so thank you Ryan for loving me so unconditionally.
One quote that’s written on my gym wall that I have found to be so inspiring is this:

“Success does not come in one giant leap, but in small steps over time.”

Thank you California Family Fitness for having such a wonderful kids program; one that my kids are genuinely excited and ask to go to; one that always has enough staff to cover all the kids; one that remembers my kids’ names.

Bethany

All posts

No Comments

• Bailey Hawkins April 12, 2018 at 6:57 pm

You look amazing! So proud of you!! I need to hop on that stair climber!

• sequinsandseams April 12, 2018 at 6:58 pm

So proud of you!!! I clearly need to hop on a stair climber!

• Lori VanHamersveld April 12, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Beautifully written. Thank you for your honesty and striving to be healthy You are beautiful inside and out.

• Julia April 13, 2018 at 1:49 am

Great job Bethany! Loved hearing about part of your health/wellness/fitness journey.
    It’s never easy to make time for ourselves, but it’s so important.
    PS. um, the boudoir picture…smoke show!

• Snippets Of Us April 13, 2018 at 5:00 pm

What an inspiration! You’re gorgeous in both photos but go you, mama!

• 21flavorsofsplendor April 13, 2018 at 5:22 pm

You look great!! Finding a balance that works for you and still working towards you goals is so important.

• Margaret April 14, 2018 at 4:42 am

Congratulations! You look amazing! I also looked at my photo one day and was like, “oh no”. I went from size 22 to 4. So I can totally relate💕

• Erin April 14, 2018 at 7:35 am

You look great! (In ALL of the pics!) Those stairclimbers are so hard 🙂 But they work great!

• katevanvleck April 14, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Wow congrats! That kind of work and discipline is not for the faint of heart. So inspiring to see so much progress!

• katcharlesblog April 17, 2018 at 3:35 pm

You look great, and happy. Life after baby calls for major adjustment, especially with a baby and a toddler. Good for you for taking care of yourself.

• mommyonthegodiary May 24, 2018 at 2:51 pm

hey girl,
    When I first saw your “before picture” I thought but she’s amazing!! but then I zoomed on the after picture and I was WOW she looks fabulous!
    What a story, I loved reading all these inspirational details!
    I’m a working mom of a 3 years old boy, that commutes 3 hrs a day (1,5 each way) and finding time and energy to workout is really challenging!
    I hope I can find a way to be more consistent with that
    I believe that running will be my ultimate solution, but never had the courage!
    thank you for sharing your experience
    kisses

About Me

About Me

Bethany

Hi! I’m Bethany and I live in Sacramento, CA with my husband and two little boys. Most of the topics you’ll see on here are about motherhood and wine, but I write about pretty much whatever strikes me as a topic I need to cover! I don't take motherhood too seriously and I like to have fun! Cheers! Read More

Bethany

Popular Topics

Instagram

• I miss my hair lady 😭😭. So many of us are struggle city as far as hair goes each day. I’ve been wearing my new visor from @nordstrom (as seen in this video) and lots of my Sacramento blogger babe friends have been rocking cute hats as well! Good excuse to go hat shopping am I right?! 🤗 🧢
@closetchoreography
@homesweethazel @downtown_dani @jacqleengrace @the_other_mk •
#nordygirl #sacramentobloggerbabe #sacramentoblogger#norcalblogger#californiagirl#bloggermom#momsofinstsgram#norcalfashion#sacramentofashionblogger#stylishmomsociety #stylishmoms #stylelikeamother #lifestyleblogger #fashionblogger #realoutfitgram #fashionforreal #realmomstyle #outfitsofinstagram #quarentinestyle #outfitinspo #livecolorfully #asseenonme #affordablefashion #californiastyle #sacramentomoms #sacramentoblogger
#pandemicstyle
    • This whole coronavirus thing and economic collapse has absolutely sucked! If you follow my stories, I’m sure you can deduce what my opinion is on all of this 🤪. HOWEVER...I did very much enjoy the crazy discounts that took place over on @nordstrom online! I snagged this dress and hat for 60% off 🤩. Too bad I don’t have anywhere to wear them 😂🤦🏻‍♀️ #reopencalifornia •
#nordygirl #sacramentobloggerbabe #sacramentoblogger#norcalblogger#californiagirl#bloggermom#momsofinstsgram#norcalfashion#sacramentofashionblogger#stylishmomsociety #stylishmoms #stylelikeamother #lifestyleblogger #fashionblogger #realoutfitgram #fashionforreal #realmomstyle #outfitsofinstagram #stylewatch #outfitinspo #livecolorfully #asseenonme #affordablefashion #californiastyle #sacramentomoms #sacramentoblogger
    • @atozwineworks sent me some sparkling Rosé back when I was still pregnant and I’m happy to be able to sample them now 🎉. I’m LOVING the canned versions too...so convenient! I couldn’t ask for a more refreshing beverage on this warm day 🤩🙌🏻 #azwineworks #gifted .

#wineblogger #wineblog #sacramentowineblogger  #californiawineblog #millenialwino #instawine #winenight  #winelover #winetasting #winenerd #winesofinstagram #womenwholovewine #instawine #womenofsac #sacramentoblogger #sactownblogger #sacramentobloggers #napawineblogger #napavalley #californiawineblogger #sactownblogger #oregonwines
    • And just like that, our little nugget is 2️⃣ months old. He’s smiling a lot (but not for this pic), babbling more and more and isn’t much for long naps. He loves to nurse but takes bottles like a champ. He seems to really enjoy his siblings (especially Preston). He loves being around people and isn’t a fan of being in a room by himself - background conversations seem to sooth him. He LOVES to snuggle; his favorite way to fall asleep is with his face nuzzled into your chest. He really is the sweetest thing and we are so happy he’s ours. We love you Fordy boy 💙 .
#momsofinstagram #igmom #uniteinmotherhood #momlife #bloggermom #littlestoriesofmylife #joyfulmamas #mommyblog #mommyhood #momswhoblog #flashesofdelight #clickinmoms #our_everyday_moments #childhoodunplugged #mytinymoments #momlifeisthebestlife #clickinmoms #letthembelittle #motherhoodrising #momlifeisthebestlife #quarentinelife #californiablogger
#therealmomlife #candidchildhood #ladybossesofsac #capcitybloggers #sacramentoblogger #momofboys #thirdboy
    • Your dose of sweetness 🥰. Happy Friday!! #fordalexander #fordyford .
    • Yesterday we went to visit my grandmother at her assisted living facility. She’s 92 and to be honest, not doing great. Her mind wasn’t the sharpest when this whole thing started, but being on lock down and isolated from her family has caused her to decline. She hasn’t been hugged since this lock down started, which is so bad for her immune system and mental health. I’m not going to sugar coat this. It’s really hard on everyone, especially the elderly who live alone. I mean, I’m glad she is still alive, but jeez. My fear is that we will lose her and we will not have had the chance to even hold her hand. I unexpectedly lost my cool and tears started flowing out. Thankfully she can’t see that well and had no idea.
I know seeing us all (even with the window barrier) brightened her day. So at least there’s that. We do whatever we can do to make it through this challenging time, right? 🤍 .
#momsofinstagram #igmom #uniteinmotherhood #momlife #bloggermom #littlestoriesofmylife #joyfulmamas #mommyblog #mommyhood #momswhoblog #flashesofdelight #clickinmoms #our_everyday_moments #childhoodunplugged #mytinymoments #momlifeisthebestlife #clickinmoms #letthembelittle #motherhoodrising #momlifeisthebestlife #quarentineseniors #californiablogger
    • Friday nights in quarantine am I right? You guys, this Barbera is so good! I talked about @newclairvauxvineyard a couple weeks ago on stories. They sent me some wine and so far I’ve loved everything I’ve tried! They are North of Chico but delivering to Sacramento for free 🙌🏻🤩. If you’re looking for a new one to try, here ya go 👍🏻 .

• 🎉 Target gift time🎉 ONE lucky person will get a $750 Target Gift Card.  We know that things are really rough right now and we wanted to do our part to brighten someone’s day.  I’ve teamed up with my LOCAL Sacramento area friends to give this gift! .
$750 Target Gift Card
How To Participate
1. Like this image and follow me!
2. Go to @grateful.gifting and follow everyone they are following. ALL accounts!
That's it! Must be following ALL accounts to qualify
BONUS : What’s your all time favorite thing you got at Target?
AND/OR tag your friends on the @grateful.gifting main post for extra entries.
This Opportunity will end on April 23 at 9:00p.m. PST. We will announce the drawing within 48hrs. This post is not endorsed or any way related to Instagram or Target. Must be 18 or older. International. If outside the US you must pay shipping fees or chose PayPal Cash Option.  Full rules on @grateful.gifting. .

#quarentineshopping #bloggermom #littlestoriesofmylife #joyfulmamas #mommyblog #mommyhood #momswhoblog #flashesofdelight #motherhoodrising #momlifeisthebestlife #sacramentoblogger #californiablogger
#therealmomlife #targetfinds #targetdollarspot #targetstyle #target #targetclearance #targetdeals #targetdoesitagain #targetfashion #targetforthewin #targetteachers #targetdecor #targetlife #targetonespot #targetclearancefinds #targetdealfinder #targetrun #targetbullseye
    • First month of life was a slam dunk! I’ve been sheltered from germs like nobody’s business. My mom feeds me non stop because I’’m constantly hungry.  Working towards my #quarentine15 #quarentinebaby .
#momlife #childhoodunplugged#letthembelittle #thatsdarling#momsofinstagram #ohheymama#documentlife #letthekids#candidchildhood #mommyhood#unitedmotherhood #momswithcameras#momcommunity #sacramentolife#teammotherly #motherhoodrising#ig_motherhood #sacramentoblogger#familylife #momblog #bloggermom#momlifeisthebestlife #norcalblogger#boymom #momofboys #boymama #sacramentokids #onemontholdbaby

Twitter Feed